Do you belong to a book group or book groups? If your book group is reading one of the novels in The Awakening series or would like to do so, you can set up a discussion with the author.
Personal appearances are possible for book groups in or near Chicago, Springfield, St. Louis, Kansas City, or Denver. For other locations, visits can be arranged via phone, Google Hangout, FaceTime, or Skype. The author can join for the entire meeting, for a Q&A at the end, or to provide an introduction to the conversation.
To set up a book group visit, email the author at Lisa@LisaLilly.com
Sample book group questions for The Awakening:
- What is the significance of Tara being a non-believer?
- How do the characters’ religious beliefs affect their views of Tara’s pregnancy and their behavior toward Tara?
- Do traditional religious beliefs seem to make it easier or harder for the characters to accept Tara’s claims?
- While the plot does not directly address ethical questions relating to birth control or abortion, does it do so indirectly? If so, how?
- How do Tara’s mother’s opinions of Tara’s pregnancy, and Tara, change over time and why?
- Would Willow Springs be the best place for Tara to live and raise her child? Why or why not?
- Is Pete Spencer correct that Tara’s pregnancy raises the question of whether Christianity got the message right the first time?
- Some readers have commented that men seem to be depicted less favorably than women in the book. Do you think that’s so? Why or why not?
- Could Tara, and eventually her child, act in harmony with leaders of organized religion?
- What do you think is the purpose of Tara’s pregnancy?
- Are Nanor’s points about religions run by men fair? Accurate? Why or why not?
- Why is it easier for strangers, rather than friends and family, to believe Tara that she is a virgin despite being pregnant?
- Do you believe Tara?
- What do you think are the real goals of the Brotherhood of Andrew?
- What role does forgiveness play in the story?
- Would you forgive Cyril? Should Tara have forgiven him?
Email the author at Lisa@LisaLilly.com to arrange a book group call or visit.